September 20th, Registration Deadline
ENROLLMENT is LIMITED to 15 players due to the size of the available room. 9 altos and 6 basses/contras will be accepted.
Featured pieces for this 18th year of Retreats will be Jonathan Cohen’s newest low flutes composition Subduction and a Halloween favorite, Funeral March of a Marionette, plus a third piece I can’t mention yet.
In addition to playing in the three large ensembles, all the altos will play Haru no Umi (The Sea in Springtime) by Michio Miyagi and all the basses will play Echoes of the Ancients by Sarah Bassingthwaighte and the Spiritoso movement of Telemann’s Canonic Sonata No. 2 in D.
We first meet at 7:15 PM on Thursday October 20th at a meeting room in the Wingate by Wyndham in Chattanooga. Rehearsals and workshops begin Friday at 9:15 AM in the hotel meeting room and continue through Sunday the 18th, culminating in a Sunday 4 PM performance, followed by a group dinner at an area restaurant.
Workshops topics will be Improving Breath Control and, Tone Development. I am also considering having a reading session on solo repertoire for the alto and for bass/contra and a workshop on Tricky Trills.
The Daily Schedule is not ready yet.
All people attending must be fully vaccinated and had their boosters for covid-19.
To receive updated information about this Retreat, Sign Up for Retreat Updates.
THE RETREAT AT A GLANCE:
- Dates: Thursday, October 20th 7:15 PM through Sunday, October 23rd at 8 PM.
- Registration Deadline: Tuesday, September 20th by midnight EST
- Retreat and Housing Location: Wingate Hotel 7312 Shallowford Road, Chattanooga, Tennessee 37421. The room reservation link is further down the page. wingatechattanooga.com
- Required Workshop Books: The Alto Method or the Bass Method. Buy/bring both if you have an alto and a bass and want to work on the workshop topics on both.
- Sunday Performance: don’t have this set up yet
- Private Lessons: will be available between 10 AM and 5 PM on Thursday, October 20th at the hotel meeting room. Fee is $80 an hour on a first-come first-served basis. Email me to see what times are available. email@example.com. If you want a lesson, arrive early on Thursday.
- Click here for the Chattanooga Registration Form
Repertoire – we will rehearse and perform Jonathan Cohen’s Subduction and Chris’s arrangement of Gounod’s Funeral March of a Marionette. A third piece will be announced after July 15th. Each alto player will also receive a part for Haru no Umi and each bass player will receive a part for Echoes of the Ancients and a Spiritoso from Canonic Sonata No. 2 by Telemann. Advanced players who play both instruments can play in both groups. Parts will be sent out after the registration deadline. The pieces will be performed on Sunday starting at 4 PM.
Workshops – Improving Breath Control and Tone Development.
Required Books – the Alto Method and/or the Bass Method
The books are available from chrispotterflute.com, Amazon, Flute Specialists, Carolyn Nussbaum’s, The Flute Pro Shop, Flute Center of New York, West Valley Music and Flute World.
Sight-Reading Sessions – All participants are invited to bring one or two duets, trios or quartets for an informal sight-reading session on Saturday night. Pieces with both alto and bass parts are preferred.
Informal Recital – On Friday night of the Retreat there will be an opportunity to perform a solo or other chamber music piece. There is NO piano available. If you bring your own sound system, you can do something with a pre-recorded accompaniment.
Housing – Is at the Wingate by Wyndham 7312 Shallowford Road, Chattanooga, Tennessee 37421. Here is the link to reserve a room. Wingate Hotel Room Reservation
Tuition – $425. You can send a check with your registration form: My address is 2985 18th St. Boulder, CO 80304.
Private Lessons – If you are interested in a private lesson, check the lesson box on the registration form and include an $80 payment with your tuition.
Payments are accepted through check, PayPal, Venmo or Zelle
- Paypal: send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Send $437 which is close to $425 after they take out their fees. If you are able to access their “friend” option, they do not charge a fee – send $425.
- Venmo: send $425 to ChrisPotterFlute (Sometimes Venmo asks for the last 4 digits of my phone number – 6492)
- Zelle: Contact me if you want to use Zelle at email@example.com.
- To pay for a private lesson, add $80 to your check or add $84 to your PayPal payment.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want more information about the Retreat.
- Use these guidelines to determine your Repertoire Level, which you need to know when filling out the Retreat Registration.
- Click here to download and complete the Chattanooga Registration Form
- Snail mail the completed Retreat registration and tuition check so that it is received by September 20th along with the Retreat tuition – $425. With private lesson $505. OR, scan and email completed form by August 15th to email@example.com (payment must be received within 5 days).
2985 18th Street
Boulder, CO 80304
50% tuition refund until September 20th for the Retreat. No refunds after the 20th.