What’s New for Low Flutes
is the focus of the in-person 2021 Fall Retreats. We will be playing great repertoire by Jonathan Cohen, Paige Dashner Long and Nicole Chamberlain. We will work on some of their low flutes choir repertoire as well as solo and chamber music. There will be sight-reading sessions with favorite pieces you bring to share. The workshops for 2021 are: Dynamics and Phrasing, and Fun with Extended Techniques.
All people attending must be fully vaccinated for covid-19.
Click the link at the end of this sentence to put your name on the list to receive updated information about this Retreat. Sign Up for Retreat Updates
The Retreat At a Glance:
- Dates: Friday, September 17th, 9:30 AM – Sunday, Sept. 19th 8 PM.
- Tuition: $350 (people who attended the May online Retreat get a $75 discount.)
- Registration Deadline: August 16th.
- Housing: will be at the Marysville Holiday Inn Express and Suites. 8606 36th Ave NE.
- Required Workshop Books: the Alto Flute Method for alto players and the Bass Flute Method for bass players.
- Performance: we may or may not have a public performance – still TBD.
- Private Lessons: will be available on Thursday, Sept. 16th for $80 for an hour on a first-come first-served basis.
- Retreat Registration: 2021 Marysville Retreat Registration
Repertoire – We will be working on pieces by three composers; Jonathan Cohen, Paige Dashner Long and Nicole Chamberlain. Pieces will include: A Love Letter to Sharyn, Big Flutes Happen Here, Ali’s Stowaway Caper, Flutenado, Dessert Suite, Chivy, Flexion and Imperial Topaz. You will receive your assigned music shortly after the registration deadline once I know how many people of what ability levels are playing which instruments.
Workshops – Dynamics and Phrasing, and Fun with Extended Techniques. We will work on expanding your dynamic range and then use that ability to make phrases more expressive. Learn about the common features of a phrase and how to play an accompaniment part under a phrase. You must have the required books to participate; the Alto Flute Method for alto players and the Bass Flute Method for bass players. If you want to work on both instruments, have both books. Contra players get the bass book. For the Extended Techniques workshop, we will use the pieces we are playing at the Retreat to become more comfortable creating the new sounds composers are putting in their pieces. The sounds are fun to create and tone quality is not a concern!
Required books –The Alto Flute Method and The Bass Flute Method. They are available from Chris, Amazon, Flute Specialists, Carolyn Nussbaum’s, The Flute Pro Shop, Flute Center of New York, West Valley Music and Flute World.
Sight-Reading Sessions – All attendees are invited to bring duets, trios and quartets for informal sight-reading sessions. Pieces with altos and bass parts are preferred.
Housing – Contact the Marysville Holiday Inn by phoning 360-530-1234 and provide the group name “Alto & Bass Flute Retreat.” This will activate our group discount. You need to make your reservation before August 16th to get the group discount and guarantee you have a room!
Tuition – is $350. You can send a check with your registration form: My address is 2985 18th St, Boulder, CO 80304. 2021 Marysville Retreat Registration
Private Lessons – If you are interested in a private lesson, check the lesson box on the registration form and include an $80 payment with your tuition.
Payments are accepted through PayPal, Venmo or Zelle. For Paypal, send to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you send as a “friend”, they do not charge a fee. If you don’t send as a “friend” or I request the money, they charge a fee which amounts to an increase of 5% in your tuition. For Venmo, send to ChrisPotterFlute. Sometimes Venmo asks for the last 4 digits of my phone number – 6492. Contact me if you want to use Zelle. email@example.com To pay for a private lesson, add $80 to your check or include an additional $80 in your PayPal payment.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want more information about the Retreat.
- Use these guidelines to determine your Repertoire Level, which you need to know when filling out the Retreat Registration.
- Download and complete the Retreat Registration.
- Snail mail the completed Retreat registration and tuition check so that it is received by August 16th, along with the Retreat tuition – $350 or $430 with private lesson. OR, scan and email completed form by Aug. 16th to email@example.com (payment must be received within 4 days).
2985 18th Street
Boulder, CO 80304
50% tuition refund until August 16th for the Retreat. No refunds after the 16th.