WHAT’S NEW FOR LOW FLUTES
is the focus of the in-person 2021 Fall Retreats. We will be playing great repertoire by Jonathan Cohen, Paige Dashner Long and Nicole Chamberlain. We will work on some of their low flutes choir repertoire as well as solo and chamber music. There will be sight-reading sessions with favorite pieces you bring to share. The workshops for 2021 are: Dynamics and Phrasing, and Fun with Extended Techniques.
All people attending must be fully vaccinated for covid-19.
In the event the Retreat Hotel closes due to a new wave of Covid-19, everyone who had made a reservation there, and will no longer be attending the Retreat, can request a full tuition refund. For those still able to attend the Retreat, we have a plan in place for an alternate rehearsal, workshop and performance location if necessary.
Click on this link to put your name on the list to receive more information about this October Retreat.
The Retreat At a Glance:
- Dates: Thursday, October 14th 7 PM – Sunday, October 17th
- Tuition: $325. Tuition due with Registration form. $75 discount if you attended the May Retreat.
- Registration Deadline: Wednesday, September 8th
- Hotel: Homewood Suites by Hilton 714 Gallatin St. SW | Huntsville, AL 35801
- Required Workshop Books: the Alto Flute Method for alto players and the Bass Flute Method for bass players.
- Performance: still not confirmed but our plan is to take part in a morning televised church service at the First Baptist Church 600 Governors Dr. SW and present an afternoon concert there on Sunday, Oct. 17, probably 4:00 to 5:15. This will be followed by a group dinner. Plan on leaving Monday.
- Private lessons: These will be scheduled for Thursday the 14th during the day. There is a spot on the registration form to sign up. Lessons are $80 for one hour.
- Retreat Registration: Huntsville Registration
Repertoire – We will be working on pieces by three composers; Jonathan Cohen, Paige Dashner Long and Nicole Chamberlain. Pieces will include: A Love Letter to Sharyn, Big Flutes Happen Here, Flutenado, Dessert Suite, Chivy, Flexion and Imperial Topaz. We will also play a new piece by Beverly Troup! You will receive your assigned music shortly after the registration deadline once I know how many people of what ability levels are playing which instruments.
Workshops – Dynamics and Phrasing, and Fun with Extended Techniques. We will work on expanding your dynamic range and then use that ability to make phrases more expressive. Learn about the common features of a phrase and how to play an accompaniment part under a phrase. You must have the required books to participate; the Alto Flute Method for alto players and the Bass Flute Method for bass players. If you want to work on both instruments, have both books. Contra players get the bass book.
For the Extended Techniques workshop, we will use the pieces we are playing at the Retreat to become more comfortable creating the new sounds composers are putting in their pieces. The sounds are fun to create and tone quality is not a concern!
Required books –The Alto Flute Method and The Bass Flute Method. They are available from Chris, Amazon, Flute Specialists, Carolyn Nussbaum’s, The Flute Pro Shop, Flute Center of New York, West Valley Music and Flute World.
Sight-Reading Sessions – All attendees are invited to bring duets, trios and quartets for informal sight-reading sessions. Pieces with altos and bass parts are preferred.
Hotel – Rooms are reserved at the Homewood Suites by Hilton. 714 Gallatin St. SW, Huntsville, AL 35801. It is the closest hotel to The First Baptist Church and some of our rehearsals will be there. They have rooms with one king bed available at this time. Here is a link to reserve a room. Hilton Room link For general information about the hotel, click here Hotel link.
Private Lessons – Will be scheduled on Thursday, Oct. 14th. If you are interested in a private lesson, check the lesson box on the registration form and include an $80 payment with your tuition.
Payments are accepted through PayPal, Venmo or Zelle. For Paypal, send to email@example.com. If you send as a “friend”, they do not charge a fee. If you don’t send as a “friend” or I request the money, they charge a fee which amounts to an increase of 5% in your tuition. For Venmo, send to ChrisPotterFlute. Sometimes Venmo asks for the last 4 digits of my phone number – 6492. Contact me if you want to use Zelle. firstname.lastname@example.org To pay for a private lesson, add $80 to your check or include an additional $80 in your PayPal payment
Contact me at email@example.com if you want more information about either Retreat.
- Use these guidelines to determine your Repertoire Level, which you’ll need to know when filling out the Retreat Application.
- Download and complete the retreat registration form.
- There will be a link here when I have all the information to calculate the tuition fee.
- Registration forms: scan and email completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, snail mail the completed registration so that it is received by September 8th, along with the Retreat tuition ($325) to:
2985 18th St.
Boulder, CO 80304