Lynnwood is just north of Seattle
August 15th, Registration Deadline
Featured pieces for this 18th year of Retreats will be Ali Ryerson’s newest piece Silver Linings, Jonathan Cohen’s low flutes composition Subduction and a Halloween favorite, Funeral March of a Marionette.
Due to the size of the only affordable meeting room, registration is limited to 15 people – 9 altos and 6 basses/contras. Sign up early to get a spot!
There are currently (Aug. 4th) two openings for alto players. Send me a quick email at firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know you are signing up, then fill out and scan the registration form and send me an email at email@example.com.
In addition to playing in the two large ensembles, all altos will play The Sea in Springtime (Haru no Umi) and the basses and contras will play Voices of the Ancients by Bassingthwaighte and a Telemann Canonic Sonata. I am also considering having a reading session on solo repertoire for the alto and for bass and a workshop on Tricky Trills.
We first meet at 7:15 PM on Thursday September 15th at a meeting room in Homewood Suites by Hilton, located at 18123 Alderwood Mall Parkway, Lynnwood, WA 98037. Rehearsals and workshops begin Friday at 9:15 AM in the hotel meeting room and continue through Sunday the 18th, culminating in a Sunday 4 PM performance, followed by a group dinner at an area restaurant.
Workshops topics will be Improving Breath Control and, Tone Development.
The Daily Schedule is not ready yet. We generally start at 9:15 Fri – Sun, have evening events Friday and Saturday, with our closing concert on Sunday 4 – 5 PM.
All people attending must be fully vaccinated and had their boosters for covid-19.
Click on the link to receive updated information about this Retreat. Sign Up for Retreat Updates
The Retreat At a Glance:
- Dates: Thursday, September 15th 7:15 PM through Sunday, September 18th at 8 PM.
- Tuition: $425
- Registration Deadline: Tuesday, August 15th by midnight EST
- Retreat and Housing Location: Homewood Suites by Hilton, 18123 Alderwood Mall Parkway, Lynnwood, WA
- Required Workshop Books: The the Alto Method or the Bass Method. Buy both if you have an alto and a bass and want to work on these topics on both.
- Sunday Performance: don’t have this set up yet
- Private Lessons: will be available between 10 AM and 5 PM on Thursday, September 15th at the hotel meeting room. Fee is $90 an hour on a first-come first-served basis. Email me to see what times are available. firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want a lesson, arrive early on Thursday.
- Retreat Registration Lynnwood Registration Form
Repertoire – we will rehearse and perform Jonathan Cohen’s Subduction and Chris’s arrangement of Gounod’s Funeral March of a Marionette. A third piece will be announce after July 15th. Each participant will also receive a part for one or two all alto pieces and/or one or two all bass pieces. Advanced players who play both instruments can play in both groups. Parts will be sent out after the registration deadline. The pieces will be performed on Sunday starting at 4 PM.
Workshops – Improving Breath Control and, Tone Development.
The books are available from chrispotterflute.com, Amazon, Flute Specialists, Carolyn Nussbaum’s, The Flute Pro Shop, Flute Center of New York, West Valley Music and Flute World.
Sight-Reading Sessions – All participants are invited to bring one or two duets, trios or quartets for an informal sight-reading session on Saturday night. Pieces with both alto and bass parts are preferred.
Informal Recital – On Friday night of the Retreat there will be an opportunity to perform a solo or other chamber music piece. There is NO piano available. If you bring your own sound system, you can do something with a pre-recorded accompaniment.
Housing – Is at the Homewood Suites by Hilton, 18123 Alderwood Mall Parkway, Lynnwood, WA. hotel info
Tuition – is $425. You can send a check with your registration form: My address is 2985 18th St. Boulder, CO 80304.
Private Lessons – If you are interested in a private lesson, check the lesson box on the registration form and include an $90 payment with your tuition.
Payments are accepted through check, PayPal, Venmo or Zelle. For Paypal, send to email@example.com. Send $430 which is close to $425 after they take out their fees. If you are able to access their “friend” option, they do not charge a fee – send $425. For Venmo, send to ChrisPotterFlute. Sometimes Venmo asks for the last 4 digits of my phone number – 6492. Contact me if you want to use Zelle. firstname.lastname@example.org To pay for a private lesson, add $90 to your check or add $94.50 to your PayPal payment.
Contact me at email@example.com if you want more information about the Retreat.
- Use these guidelines to determine your Repertoire Level, which you need to know when filling out the Retreat Registration.
- Download and complete the Lynnwood Registration Form
- Snail mail the completed Retreat registration and tuition check so that it is received by August 15th along with the Retreat tuition – $425. With private lesson $515. OR, scan and email completed form by August 15th to firstname.lastname@example.org (payment must be received within 5 days).
2985 18th Street
Boulder, CO 80304
50% tuition refund until August 15th for the Retreat. No refunds after the 15th.